Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pinafores

Recent sewing at TAFE included a Pinafore. They provided a Size 12 pattern, and it did not fit me, so I added a centimetre to the side seams and a centimetre to the seam at the bodice.



I'm not sure what the fabric is, TAFE provided it, but it's a winter weight, possibly acrylic / polyester. I omitted the facings and added a full lining. I'm having lots of trouble uploading photos that have been rotated from Landscape to Portrait - kind of weird ..... so this photo isn't the best.... there are side panels and a front and back bodice - we cut the side panels on the bias, and made sure the stripes lined up at the front and back. Here's a photo with Big Louis - look how much he loves being held and cuddled!!


Anyway, I thought I'd make another one. Fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics. There is an invisible zipper at the back, and we've been taught to insert invisible zips in a different way than we usually do it, that is, don't sew the seam, insert the zip, then sew the seam. Here's what we do ...... Mark a point about 2.5cm up from the end of the zipper tab - when the zipper is undone. That will be the point to which you sew the CB seam, with a 1.5cm seam allowance.

The pin shows the top of the zipper puller, so mark a line 2.5cm above and sew from that point to the hem for the CB seam.


This photo shows the lining pulled up to show the interfacing fused to the neck and armhole area, and a strip of interfacing fused to the wrong side along the CB to support the zip.
This photo shows the CB seam sewn ready for zipper insertion.

The zipper coils are placed 1.5cm from the raw edge, which means the edge of the zipper runs along the edge of the overlocking.
This is the end - and you can sew as far as the beginning of the CB seam, so there's a fair length of zipper tail that is not sewn.
At the junction where the upper bodice and skirt meets, I hand tacked the zipper in place just for a few centimetres. Ready for the other side to be inserted, of course, if there was no junction in your pattern, you would not do this.
Ahhh , not perfect : (
So here's the tail - stitch the ends to the seam allowances of the seam. So the point is, you don't have to change feet back to the regular zipper foot to finish the process, seam done, zipper in!
OK, incredibly frustrating that I can't load these photos properly ..... so tilt your head to the right.........

And I am now sending feedback to Google ...... happy sewing!



























7 comments:

  1. Blogger has been funny all morning, it's not it you having trouble.
    I like the patches of angled stripes just under the arms in your first pinafore. It's a nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Karen that the angles of the stripes is a great effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the stripe effect of the insert too but the second pinafore is my favourite. I've got to say that is one impressive cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you've used the fabric at an angle on the bodice. It's very effective.
    Thank you for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both pinafores and thank you for the reminder about sewing the centre back seam first. Don't worry you aren't the only one having fun with your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My photos sometimes do that when I take them in portrait mode! My daughter showed me how to save them to Microsoft Word, then Paint and then upload them. It is a bit frustrating but problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute jumper, as we call them here. The diagonal stripes make it interesting. Your cat is huge, but very handsome. When I have problems loading pictures in the correct orientation in google blogger, I am usually in compose mode. So I switch to HTML mode (tab at up left hand corner) to load the picture and then go back to compose to move it around.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment .... thankyou!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.